I was reading an article and came across these things to give up to be happy. I have been working on these, and I thought it a good reminder to put down. And never give up treating people the way that you would like to be treated in kind. Is it necessary, is it kind, is it true, good words to remember.
1. Give up your need to always be right. There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain, for us and for others.
Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind, how will being right make me feel any better about myself?
2. Give up your need for control. Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you – situations, events, people, etc. Allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better will that make you feel.
3. Give up on blame. Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away, start taking responsibility for your life.
4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative and repetitive self-defeating mindset? Yama yama, we have 50,000 thoughts per day. Don’t believe everything that your mind is telling you – especially if it’s negative and self-defeating, because if you repeat something 50,000 times you might believe it.
5. Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible. From now on, you are no longer going to allow your limiting beliefs to keep you stuck in the wrong place, believe in yourself and that you can do anything, spread your wings and fly!
6. Give up complaining. Give up your constant need to complain about those many, many, things. Nobody or thing can make you unhappy, sad or miserable unless you choose to allow it to. It’s not the situation that triggers the feelings, but how you choose to look at it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.
7. Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you. We are all different, thank goodness, yet we are all the same really. Everyone wants to be happy, to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. Is it necessary, is it true, is it kind?
8. Give up your need to impress others. Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, the moment you accept and embrace the yourself, you will find people will be drawn to you.
9. Give up your resistance to change. Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B. Change will help you make improvements in your life and also the lives of those around you. Believe in and ask the universe and it can become yours.
10. Give up labels. Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open.
11. Give up on your fears. Fear is just an illusion, it doesn’t exist – you created it. It’s all in your mind. Correct the inside and the outside will fall into place.See #9.
12. Give up your excuses. You no longer need them. A lot of times we limit ourselves because of the many excuses we use. Instead of growing and working on improving ourselves, we get stuck, lying to ourselves, using all kind of excuses – we only have so much time, so don't waste it with excuses.
13. Give up the past. When the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so scary, you must take into consideration that the present is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. After all life is a journey not a destination. Have a clear vision for the future, prepare yourself, but always be present in the now.
14. Give up attachment. When you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours. When you detach yourself from all things, you become peaceful, tolerant, kind and serene. You will get to a place where you will be able to understand all things without even trying. A state beyond words. This is something to work towards everyday.
15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations. Way too many people live their lives according to what others think is best for them. They ignore their inner voice, that inner calling because they are so busy with pleasing everybody, with living up to other people’s expectations, that they lose control over their lives. Don't forget about what makes you happy, what you want and need. You have one life to live, so make it your own.